Headteacher’s Blog #31 25/05/2018
- Diary dates for next week
Friday 25 May Last day of this half term
Monday 04 June First day of next term
- Year 9 GCSE Business Studies students have spent the last few months running their own businesses. Working in teams, students firstly had to pitch to a local charity – Moth in a China Shop – to secure £50 start-up capital, to enable them to start their own businesses. Students had to work together outside of school, to make their businesses happen, with the aim of turning their initial investment into as much profit as possible. Almost all teams secured a profit, with one team even making over £100, all of which gets reinvested into the charity. Last week, our students pitched their results to the charity in a formal business presentation. The Moth in a China Shop charity will then pick a winning team from over 90 participating schools nationally, based on evidence of team work, resilience and originality. Fingers crossed Downham Market Academy will be amongst the winning teams!
- The second week of the GCSEs for Year 11 is all over with now – English Literature is now all finished and most students felt positive after the first Maths exam on Thursday. Our advice for the half term break is to have a good rest and some bank holiday fun before knuckling down for some more revision ready for History, Media, English Language, Geography, Spanish, Turkish, Music and Maths exams in the week when we return.
- It is great to see so many students making good use of the timetabled revision sessions each day – the atmosphere in these is purposeful and positive, just what we want before exams. The Academy will continue to offer a space for revision over the two weeks after half term on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (6:30 to 8:30 in the morning and 3:00 to 8:00 in the evening) for those students who need a quiet space to work or a larger space to revise together as a group.
- Students in Year 10 have been assigned Science quizzes on Doddle to support their end of year exam revision. The quizzes cover all paper 1 topics and can be used to check and revise knowledge of key areas. Students are encouraged to complete the quizzes that will best support their learning however they do not need to complete them all unless they especially wish to.
- Even with an unexpectedly early start the Battlefields trip as a huge success. Students visited a variety of places on the Ypres Salient and the Somme. Three of our students had the great honour of laying a wreath as part of the Last Post Service at Menim Gate. We were also lucky enough to have a talk from an ex-Royal Engineer on shell-shock and PTSD.
- Parents and students can now access the DMA Homework booklets on line. These can be found on the school website. If you select menu you will see an option for homework booklets and this will take you to the area where you will be able to access all homework booklets for the coming half term for years 7-8, with 9-10 to follow shortly. Students will also receive a hard copy of the booklet after half term, these will be distributed by the form tutors.
- We are delighted that 6th Form student Lilly Skeels has been selected to join the Benecos Mavericks under 17 squad with a view to play in the NPL tournament in the summer.
- The top points earners in each Year group across the academic year will get a guaranteed ‘seat on the bus’ for the end of year rewards trip. The current top students in each Year group are:
|Year 7||Year 8|
|WILSON, Liza||68||YU, Kelly||54|
|SAMOUELLE, Finn||57||HOLLOWAY, Abbie-Jo||53|
|KNAPP, Georgina||55||DIMOCK, Lydia||43|
|GREENLAND, Savanna||50||GILBERT, Jemma||43|
|CALLABY, Lydia||49||SIVELL, Neve||41|
|WOODGATE, Chloe||47||PYWELL, Daisy||40|
|THORPE, Erin||46||WEBB, Hannah||40|
|BORODKA, Alfie||45||JONES, Phoebe||39|
|BENNETT, Eleanor||44||LAUDER, Tillye||39|
|CHILVERS, Eleanor||44||OWEN, Tom||39|
|Year 9||Year 10|
|FULLJAMES, Sophie||68||CARTER, Joanna||47|
|LANCHESTER, Izzy||68||ADAMS, Keelan||46|
|BALL, Aaron||60||OBEY, Jack||39|
|MARTIN, Rowan||56||METCALF, Annabel||35|
|GRABINSKI, Szymon||55||BISHOP, Jack||31|
|PALMER, Evelyn||55||DRIVER, Dominic||31|
|SCOTT, Abigail||51||LORAM, Maisie||31|
|SCOTT, Amber||47||PORTER, Sophie||31|
|WILLIAMSON, Thomas||45||RANDALL, Alfie||31|
|ODHOUSE, Skye||44||FISHER, Abigail||30|