Headteacher’s Blog #29 11/05/2018
- Diary dates for next week
- Friday 18 May Year 9 Battlefields Trip
- End of Year Tests will be held in class during next week.
- Students in Years 7 and 8 will be taking tests in the following subjects:
English Maths Science History Geography
Religious Studies Modern Foreign Languages
- Students in Year 9 will be taking tests in all the subjects that they are studying.
- Public Exams also start next week – good luck to all students.
Students who have mislaid their exam timetables can obtain a duplicate from Mrs Coupland, Exams Officer.
- Year 11
- The timetable for Year 11 students will change on Monday to provide them with guided revision sessions which have been prioritised according to the exam timetables. There are also some days where students can work independently at home. Lists of all groups and the appropriate rooms will be displayed in the Year 11 study area.
- The next few weeks are a culmination of five years of work for Year 11 students and it is crucial that they make the most of the time still available to them. After school sessions in subject areas continue to run each afternoon and the study area will remain open from 6.30 am and until 8.00 pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each week.
- Well done to all Art GCSE students for completing their externally set exam. An excellent start to Downham Market Academy’s exam programme for 2018.
- Sixth Form
- Good luck to all our Year 13s in their coming exams. Please note that we do not have study leave and lessons run up to the final exams in each subject.
- Phase 2 of the renovations is underway and we anticipate the new Break Out study areas will be ready shortly after half term.
- We are currently arranging the new Year 11 into 12 taster event which will take place in the week beginning 16 July.We look forward to meeting our new intake once their GCSE exams are completed.
- A reminder that it is the Year 7 Parents’ Evening on Thursday 7 June and appointments can be booked using the online system: parents-booking.co.uk/downhammarket
- Science students had a fantastic Watson and Crick inspired lesson on DNA this week. A Science prep room was turned into a 1953 lab and the pupils discovered all about DNA. This lesson can only be described as a WOW lesson and is being used to inspire other teachers to deliver more WOW lessons to pupils at Downham Market Academy.
- We currently have a vacancy for a part-time Finance Assistant, 20 hours per week for term time only. The salary range for this post is £7,940 – £8,385 per annum. You will need to have relevant office/administration experience but not necessarily in a Finance role.
Please email email@example.com for further information and an application pack.
- Congratulations to Chesterton Community College on becoming a Teaching School. This is good news for Downham Market Academy as we will be able to plan more training opportunities for all staff.
- The top points earners in each Year group across the academic year will get a guaranteed ‘seat on the bus’ for the end of year rewards trip. The current top students in each Year group are: