Downham Market Academy supports the needs of all students in a positive and practical way, recognising the rights of every child to have a fully inclusive, broad and balanced experience, both within the curriculum and beyond. We firmly believe that all students have an entitlement to support when a need is identified. Special needs are many and various and are not restricted to students with learning difficulties.
The basis of any provision made within the school will be to support the individual student in coping with the demands of the national curriculum. Support for students who experience learning difficulties may be provided in various ways, such as the use of specially designed programmes and materials, the setting of defined learning targets, and assistance provided by an additional adult within the classroom.
All students are encouraged to achieve their own potential and, through appropriate support, make progress. Good communication between the academy, student and parents, plus regular assessment and review, help to attain this goal.
If you would like to know more about the SEN department, please contact Mrs N Paine the Academy’s co-ordinator for special educational needs, by telephone on 01366 389130 or email email@example.com
- SEND Policy
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Local Offer
- Pre-Learning Resources
- Homework Support Resources
- The SEN and Disability Code of Practice which our provision follows
- Examination Access Arrangements: We have to test students to see if they are eligible for additional time, readers, scribes or small rooms for exams and adhere to the JCQ regulations which may be found by clicking here
- Norfolk’s Local Offer which contains the support offered by Norfolk Local Authority
- The The SEND Gateway offers easy access to high quality information and resources for meeting the needs of students with special educational needs and disabilities
- Contact a Family is the national charity that exists to support the families of disabled children whatever their condition or disability
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Autism and Asperger Syndrome
Blind or Visually Impaired
Deaf or Hearing Impaired
Dyspraxia (or Developmental Coordination Disorder)
Mental health and emotional wellbeing
Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN)